Collections & Exhibitions Coordinator
Grounds For Sculpture (GFS) is at the beginning of a long path toward building a more equitable, diverse, and inclusive (EDI) institution. We are looking for individuals, at all levels of the institution, who are interested in joining us on this journey of intentionality and public accountability. This path broadens our workforce (board, staff, volunteers), expands our artist selection and acquisition practice as well as strengthens our internal and external communication systems, networks and norms.
The Collections & Exhibitions Coordinator plays a key role in the smooth operation of the Curatorial department. They present themselves and GFS professionally and have experience in business correspondence. They have an interest in working with contemporary artists and are eager to contribute in a variety of ways to the success of changing exhibition projects. Additionally, they will play a role in the care and documentation of the permanent collection.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist supervisor in developing and maintaining the exhibition calendar, scheduling meetings, and preparing meeting materials.
- Serve as an ambassador for Grounds For Sculpture to help foster a culture of inclusion for all members, donors, volunteers, and guests.
- Vendor and material/supply research and supply orders; includes contacting vendors for estimates, completing credit applications and purchase orders, scheduling deliveries of materials with follow up as needed.
- Organize artist and donation submissions and communicate with prospective artists and donors.
- Update and maintain collections records in both hard copy files and Mimsy database.
- Assist with the production of exhibition didactics, catalogs, and other printed materials.
- Maintain the appearance of indoor galleries through routine cleaning and restocking of maker spaces.
- Assist Preparator with cleaning outdoor sculpture seasonally April - October.
- Assist with external communication through written and phone correspondence. Cultivate relationships with artists, collectors, donors, and other key stakeholders.
- Attend weekly meetings with Curatorial department team. Attend monthly full staff meetings.
- Assist Registrar and Preparator in the training and supervising of collections care volunteers.
- Assist Registrar in the annual inventory of the collection.
- Interact with staff, visitors, artists, and exhibition partners in a positive manner.
- Schedule is Tuesday - Saturday, 9am-5pm, however flexibility to work an adjusted schedule based on project needs is required.
- All other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in fine arts, art history, museum studies or other similar fields preferred
- 3 or more years working in an art museum or gallery setting
- Demonstrate respect and inclusiveness to all employees, embracing differences
- Enjoys contemporary art and working with artists
- Professional demeanor; communicates effectively with internal and external communities
- Excellent organization skills required with ability to multi-task and set priorities based on deadlines
- Experience with business correspondence and communication
- Some knowledge of art handling and collections care preferred but not required
- Experience with SketchUp or similar programs is a plus
- Grounds For Sculpture requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated* for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Grounds For Sculpture will consider requests for reasonable accommodations. *2 doses of Pfizer or Moderna, 1 dose of J&J
GFS is stronger for the diverse ideas, lived experiences, passions and skill sets of our staff. To that end, we offer equal employment opportunities to all persons without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, parental status, housing status, source of income or military status, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local EEO laws.
Hourly Rate: $19.23
Full Time (Non- Exempt)
Benefits: Grounds For Sculpture offers a benefit package including: 403b plan with a discretionary match, medical benefits, dental and vision benefits, paid time off, company paid holidays, company paid life insurance, long term disability and ADD benefits.
About Grounds For Sculpture
Grounds For Sculpture (GFS) is a 42-acre not-for-profit sculpture park, arboretum, and museum, founded by the late artist and philanthropist Seward Johnson. Featuring nearly 300 contemporary sculptures by renowned and emerging artists in a beckoning landscape, Grounds For Sculpture combines art and beckoning spaces to welcome, surprise and engage all visitors in the artist’s act of invention. In addition to its permanent collection, Grounds For Sculpture offers rotating special exhibitions in its six indoor galleries, rich educational programs, and dynamic family events. Located in Hamilton, New Jersey, Grounds For Sculpture.
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : High School
Experience Level : Entry Level
Job Function : Administrative