Manager of Storytelling
Grounds For Sculpture (GFS) is at the beginning of a long path toward building a more equitable, diverse, and inclusive (EDI) institution. We are looking for individuals, at all levels of the institution, who are interested in joining us on this journey of intentionality and public accountability. This path broadens our workforce (board, staff, volunteers), expands our artist selection and acquisition practice as well as strengthens our internal and external communication systems, networks and norms.
We are a fun, diverse and high impact team who is seeking a collaborative, strategic and audience-focused leader to be the main storyteller of our work. We want to hear from you if you enjoy writing, editing, presenting content and educating others with meaningful content to reflect our institutional initiatives.
The Manager of Storytelling brings Grounds For Sculpture’s work to life through dynamic and compelling stories via strong copywriting and compelling visuals that move an audience to engage more deeply with our mission. This individual will have a history of celebrating diversity and building community through digital content strategies, press engagement and content creation. Nimble, strategic, and creative, they will work the storytelling spectrum – from gathering stories across the organization to packaging them for a variety of purposes: web, press and social. They will be steeped in our brand strategy and bring a willingness to experiment with fresh approaches and language. The Manager of Storytelling is familiar with digital media, best practices in web editing, editing, and AP and Chicago style guides.
A successful Manager of Storytelling is a creative writer who can deliver engaging content tailored for different target audiences and organizational goals. They will bring fresh eyes to every project and help edit and create content to shape GFS’s distinct brand voice. We require an agile writer who can do both long and short-form pieces for stakeholders and target audiences with varying levels of understanding of GFS’s work. The successful person works collaboratively with the department, and across the institution, takes feedback constructively and views writing as a collaborative process. They are an experienced interviewer, researcher, editor, and writer who can take rough content, and translate it into polished, professional stories. The candidate is has experience with leading organizational social media platforms to welcome in new audiences, and is a committed collaborator and analytical person who can make decisions quickly on the ground. The Manager of Storytelling supports digital engagement goals across GFS including exhibitions, fundraising, marketing and communications, volunteerism, and education.
The candidate should have experience creating press releases, hosting press events and participating in strategic planning of press engagement strategies. They are excited about supporting film or video production on site. They will have a successful track record of working with multiple internal partners to define and execute strategic initiatives.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Translates a strategy brief into powerful copy and stories that drives a desired action
- Edits text as needed
- Works collaboratively to support marketing goals including website updates, content creation (social media and eblasts) as needed
- Manages content development process (stories & copy) for integrated fundraising and marketing campaigns and partners across GFS to package it for multiple channels
- Writes both short and long-form pieces for GFS website, email, and social media for the purposes of elevating our profile, raising funds, and advancing our mission.
- Translates complex messages into compelling and accessible content. Acts as GFS “in-house reporter” to identify and develop appropriate stories about GFS’s multiple stakeholders, programs, staff, and the issues relating to the organization
- Identifies opportunities to gather content in support of our editorial content strategy. Plans briefings in partnership with the Leadership, Exhibitions, Marketing and Communications, Education, and Development teams. Effectively manages relationships with teams and stakeholders
- Works with photography and film/video to gather and tell stories that bring our brand to life and accomplishes pre-determined communications goals
- Delivers packaged content and stories for pre-determined marketing tactics
- Performs general editorial and writing to keep GFS website current, relevant, and engaging for key target audiences and to support key performance indicators for digital engagement
- Uploads content to the website as needed
- Collaborates with Marketing and Communications Manager to optimize and produce stories and content to enhance GFS website for the purposes of increasing online subscribers, boosting online engagement, and recruiting new donors/patrons
- Provides support to Chief Audience Officer and Director of Marketing in preparing talking points, key messages, and editorial pieces or presentations for major external industry events and conferences.
- Helps to create and maintain the GFS social media calendar in collaboration with cross-departmental Social Media Committee
- Drafts social media copy, sources videos and photos, researches hashtags, and then publishes final copy and creative on Facebook and Instagram
- Sets up, organizes, manages, and maintains GFS story and image “asset bank” via digital asset management software to ensure all content is properly tagged, archived, and that all GFS staff know where to find key stories and images
- Analyzing complex data from varying sources using a variety of tools and data analysis techniques
- Provide actionable insights on how to improve audience development programs and strategies throughout the year
- Optimizing GFS website and email marketing tools with minor HTML coding
- Editing images in collaboration with the Graphic Designer (via Photoshop or other image editing software) to post on social media and GFS website
- BA/S or equivalent in related field required – English, journalism, marketing, or communications
- 5+ years of professional writing and editorial experience
- Diversified portfolio of writing samples required.
- Superior written and verbal communications skills necessary.
- Experience translating source material into accessible compelling stories for a general audience.
- Understands storytelling and marketing copywriting trends across varied media types.
- Experience with blog management. Familiarity with web publishing technologies (WordPress, Drupal).
- Experience drafting and publishing posts on Facebook and Instagram.
- Basic web coding skills (HTML) and proficiency with image editing software (Photoshop)
- Strong project management skills and diligence.
- Familiarity with cultural and arts institutions.
- Commitment to advancing GFS’s EDI strategy.
- The awareness of nonprofit challenges, current issues, and community partnerships.
GFS is stronger for the diverse ideas, lived experiences, passions and skill sets of our staff. To that end, we offer equal employment opportunities to all persons without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, parental status, housing status, source of income or military status, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local EEO laws.
Compensation & Benefits:
Annualized Salary: $60,000.00
Full Time (Exempt)
Benefits: Grounds For Sculpture offers a benefit package including: 403b plan with a discretionary match, medical benefits, dental and vision benefits, paid time off, company paid holidays, company paid life insurance, long term disability and ADD benefits.
Interested in applying? Please apply directly through our website and must include a cover letter: Grounds For Sculpture
About Grounds For Sculpture
Grounds For Sculpture (GFS) is a 42-acre not-for-profit sculpture park, arboretum, and museum, founded by the late artist and philanthropist Seward Johnson. Featuring nearly 300 contemporary sculptures by renowned and emerging artists in a beckoning landscape, Grounds For Sculpture combines art and beckoning spaces to welcome, surprise and engage all visitors in the artist’s act of invention. In addition to its permanent collection, Grounds For Sculpture offers rotating special exhibitions in its six indoor galleries, rich educational programs, and dynamic family events. Located in Hamilton, New Jersey, Grounds For Sculpture.
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Bachelors Degree
Experience Level : Mid to Senior Level
Job Function : Marketing