Grounds For Sculpture (GFS) is at the beginning of a long path toward building a more equitable, diverse, and inclusive (EDI) institution. We are looking for individuals, at all levels of the institution, who are interested in joining us on this journey of intentionality and public accountability. This path broadens our workforce (board, staff, volunteers), expands our artist selection and acquisition practice as well as strengthens our internal and external communication systems, networks and norms.
The Preparator is an experienced art handler with a minimum of three years of experience working in an art museum or gallery setting. They will enjoy working with contemporary artists and be knowledgeable regarding tools and equipment. They will complete a wide range of duties related to the function of the curatorial department, including art installation and maintaining the display of both indoor and outdoor exhibitions and collections to the highest standards. This position requires knowledge of proper art handling techniques and health and safety standards.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Working alongside colleagues in the Curatorial department, contract preparators, riggers, artists, and others to safely complete the installation of indoor and outdoor exhibitions. Includes physically handling artwork, loading/unloading trucks, hanging signage, lighting, providing valuable expertise and input in pre-planning meetings. May require the use of ladders, lift-gates, hand-trucks, pallet jacks, forklifts, scissor lifts, and dollies. At times may require driving box trucks for regional art deliveries.
- Serve as an ambassador for Grounds For Sculpture to help foster a culture of inclusion for all members, donors, volunteers, and guests.
- Prepare the indoor exhibition galleries for new exhibitions which may include painting, spackling, sanding, cleaning, moving pedestals, framing, and setting up/breaking down temporary wall panels.
- Building pedestals, shelves, and mounts as required for exhibitions. Requires knowledge of carpentry and experienced use of saws, manual and power tools.
- Maintaining the appearance of outdoor installations, which includes installing metal edging for gravel beds, filling in beds with gravel, stone, wood chips, etc., hand trimming grasses in areas where landscapers can’t, pruning sculpture beds, advising on need for tree trimming and landscape repairs.
- Cleaning outdoor sculpture seasonally April - October.
- Conduct weekly inspections of the indoor galleries, outdoor collections, and storage areas.
- Install, inventory, and maintain the appearance of outdoor signage.
- Maintain cleanliness and order in storage areas and advise on supply reorders.
- Attend weekly meetings with Curatorial department team. Attend monthly full staff meetings.
- Assist in the training and supervising of collections care volunteers.
- Assist in the annual inventory of the collection.
- Interact with staff, visitors, artists, and exhibition partners in a positive manner. Must be comfortable under pressure and remain cognizant of deadlines.
- Schedule is Monday – Friday, 9am-5pm, however flexibility to work an adjusted schedule based on project needs is required.
- All other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in fine arts, art history, museum studies or other similar fields preferred
- 3 or more years working in an art museum or gallery setting
- Demonstrate respect and inclusiveness to all employees, embracing differences
- Graphic design skills a plus
- Forklift Certified preferred
- Enjoys contemporary art and working with artists
- Experience with proper art handling techniques
- Comfortable working with manual and power tools
- Carpentry experience required
- Rigging experience/Knowledge of safe rigging for objects
- Basic electrical and wiring experience preferred
- Experience with SketchUp or similar program is a plus
- Grounds For Sculpture requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated* for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Grounds For Sculpture will consider requests for reasonable accommodations. *2 doses of Pfizer or Moderna, 1 dose of J&J
GFS is stronger for the diverse ideas, lived experiences, passions and skill sets of our staff. To that end, we offer equal employment opportunities to all persons without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, parental status, housing status, source of income or military status, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local EEO laws.
Compensation & Benefits:
Hourly Rate: $25.00
Full Time (Non- Exempt)
Benefits: Grounds For Sculpture offers a benefit package including: 403b plan with a discretionary match, medical benefits, dental and vision benefits, paid time off, company paid holidays, company paid life insurance, long term disability and ADD benefits.
About Grounds For Sculpture
Grounds For Sculpture (GFS) is a 42-acre not-for-profit sculpture park, arboretum, and museum, founded by the late artist and philanthropist Seward Johnson. Featuring nearly 300 contemporary sculptures by renowned and emerging artists in a beckoning landscape, Grounds For Sculpture combines art and beckoning spaces to welcome, surprise and engage all visitors in the artist’s act of invention. In addition to its permanent collection, Grounds For Sculpture offers rotating special exhibitions in its six indoor galleries, rich educational programs, and dynamic family events. Located in Hamilton, New Jersey, Grounds For Sculpture.
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Bachelors Degree
Experience Level : Mid to Senior Level
Job Function : General