Senior R&D Food Scientist (Hybrid)
Imagine...working for a company that knows that its people are the key to its success in the marketplace. A company in which achieving extraordinary results and having a stimulating work experience are part of the same process.
We cultivate and embrace a diverse employee population. We recognize that people with diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspectives fuel our growth and enrich our global culture.
We are looking for an individual who enjoys working in a fast-paced, team oriented environment, likes to be challenged, and values the opportunity to make a difference.
The Senior Scientist is responsible for the product development efforts for Campbell Snacks products ranging from cookies, crackers, potato and tortilla chips, pretzels, extruded snacks, bars, and filled biscuit snacks. These product types encompass many leading brands including Pepperidge Farm, Goldfish, Cape Cod, Kettle, Late July, Lance and Snyder’s of Hanover.
Responsibilities include new product development, line extensions, cost savings projects, qualifying alternate suppliers, and quality improvements. The Senior Scientist is responsible for ensuring that objectives, product design and timelines are met. They respond resourcefully to new demands and challenges throughout the product development & commercialization process and implement best practices to ensure an effective knowledge transfer to manufacturing.
The Senior Scientist must demonstrate strong interpersonal skills and the ability to influence decisions within the cross functional team (Marketing, Operations/Supply Chain, Engineering, Manufacturing, Quality Assurance, Process Development and Package Development, Sensory and Flavor Technology) and externally with suppliers and/or co-manufacturers.
The Senior Scientist is expected to possess and demonstrate a solid understanding of food science, business, operations, and the commercialization processes. Their approach should include practical knowledge of existing products/new technologies and the identification and innovative creation of new and unique products. The Senior Scientist provides technical specifications and support to assure smooth rollouts of new products and processes during plant startups. This includes the provision of comprehensive process documentation to enable smooth commercialization and training of plant personnel. They must support an environment that fosters innovation and calculated risk taking.
In this role, you will report to the Senior Manager for the respective brand and/or product family.
Essential responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Leads the identification, assessment, and validation of formulations from bench top through commercialization. This includes managing the financial aspects of product development including ingredient costs for plant trials.
- Ensures all proper documentation is done accurately and on schedule.
- Conducts and leads assessment and capability studies, product startups/commercialization and provides on-site support to Plant Operations for new products, productivity, and quality programs.
- Fosters an innovation culture by continually introducing ideas and product concepts for new product, quality improvements and productivity.
- Creates, designs, supervises the development of new experimental protocols/best practices required to validate product concepts and prototypes.
Job Complexity / Scope:
- Ability to interact and communicate effectively within a wide range inclusive of Cross Functional Peers, Senior Management as well as Plant Management.
- Can handle multiple projects and prioritize them based on business objectives and timelines.
- Must be a good problem solver who is able to identify, interpret and analyze the correct data, and provide detailed direction to development projects.
- Active knowledge and understanding in areas beyond Product Development including Process and Package Development, QA, Project Engineering and thorough understanding of Consumer testing methods, Marketing needs and financial concepts (costing, budgets, etc.).
- Sustain a high level of competence and professionalism in a dynamic business environment.
- Easily adapts to changing priorities.
- Able to work with a team and lead cross-functional technical team in achieving the results needed.
We are looking for the following abilities and skills:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Food Science or Technology, Bakery Science, Cereal Science, Agricultural or Chemical Engineering.
- A minimum of 5 years of related experience with a consumer-packaged goods background; experience with cookie, cracker, fried chips, pretzels, extruded snacks, bars, bread, pasta, and other snacks unit operations are preferred.
- Product Development/Baking/Frying/Extrusion emphasis; preferably someone who has successfully commercialized baked or snack products in the market.
- Excellent analytical and statistical skills, strong attention to detail, good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to handle and lead multiple projects at any given time in a team environment.
- Passion for food science and product development.
- Ability to think beyond their own (R&D) function to consider the organization and its purpose holistically.
- Anticipated travel of up to 30% which may include the following: Manufacturing plants, vendors
- A portion of the job occurs in bakeries and snack facilities; thus the work exposes the employee to heat and hot food products, coolers, and freezers requiring the use of personal protective equipment.
- Ability to walk/stand up at times for up to ¾ of the workday.
- Physical ability to handle weights of up to approximately forty pounds.
- Handle allergens including dairy, peanuts, tree nuts, soy, wheat, eggs and other food ingredient chemicals and allergens while wearing appropriate PPE.
- This position will work in a newly 50 million dollars reimagined headquarters (Camden, NJ) 3 days a week (Mon & Friday work from home) & (Tues, Wed, Thursday work in the office)
- Travel as needed (10-15%) to company meetings, company training, customer meetings, and other regions as business needs demand
This is what our headquarters offers you!
✅ Full-service cafeteria
✅ Shuttle Service to the office and back from Philly!
✅ Company Store
✅ Credit Union
✅ Dry Cleaner
✅ Day Care Facility
✅ Free Fitness Center
✅ Product & Recipe Testing with our R&D Team
Compensation and Benefits:
The base salary range for this full-time, salaried position is between $85,900.00 - $158,900.00.
An individual’s base pay depends on a number of factors, such as experience, job-related skills, and relevant education or training. Total pay may include other forms of compensation, such as a performance-based bonus and other short- and long-term incentives. In addition, we offer competitive health, dental, 401(k), and wellness benefits beginning on one’s first day of employment. Please ask your Talent Acquisition Partner for more information about our total rewards package.
For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Company is committed to providing equal opportunity for employees and applicants in all aspects of the employment relationship, without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion, or any other classification protected by law.
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Bachelors Degree
Experience Level : Mid to Senior Level
Job Function : Development, General