NJ Business Coalition Urges Faster Reopening of Businesses, Following One Jersey Pledge Announcement
The New Jersey Business Coalition released the following joint statement today urging the faster reopening of businesses that can currently meet safety protocols.
“We are at a pivotal time regarding the livelihoods of New Jerseyans and their ability to provide for themselves and their families.
“Thousands of our businesses are struggling to survive, and are clinging to every last resource they have attempting to make it to their prescribed reopening date, with many not having one yet. And even then, they’ll face great challenges due to smaller capacities in which they will be required to operate.
“At the same time, we continue to see positive signs on our health data, showing our COVID-19 cases, hospitalizations and deaths on the decline. And despite increased testing, there have been no determinant spikes in New Jersey among the millions of residents who have gone to larger stores deemed essential, visited parks, beaches or boardwalks, and/or attended rallies over the past weeks and months.
“Further, the science behind COVID-19 continues to evolve as we now know that its risk of spread through asymptomatic individuals as well as on surfaces may be less than first believed.
“This is all great news and has led to the lifting of the stay-at-home order and the easing of restrictions of both indoor and outdoor gatherings.
“And today, the Governor presented the One Jersey Pledge, a series of safety protocols that enable businesses and organizations to objectively demonstrate the steps they are taking to keep their premises safeguarded. We believe this will build confidence amongst employees and patrons.
“With the safety protocol boxes in place as demonstrated by the One Jersey Pledge, we believe there should be no further delay in reopening those businesses that can do so responsibly.
“We respect the Governor’s phased-in reopening plan and regard for protecting human health. But the lifting of restrictions for certain activities versus others and the slow pace of some aspects of state issued guidance is leaving on the sidelines thousands of businesses that can safeguard now and will pledge to do so.
“Meanwhile, New Jersey consumers are now traveling to neighboring states like Delaware and Pennsylvania for a trip to a salon, a hairstylist or a restaurant. Additionally, municipalities are now passing ordinances to open at a more rapid pace and the situation only gets more confusing and economically harmful to business owners.
“With all of this in mind, we respectfully urge Governor Murphy to accommodate businesses equipped to reopen safely and to let them open as soon as they can check the One Jersey Pledge boxes. These businesses want to keep their employees, customers and contractors safe and will do what it takes.
“Livelihoods are at stake with each passing day. Business owners should not fall victim to prescriptive timelines when they show they can reopen safely within New Jersey’s markedly improved conditions.”
New Jersey Business Coalition members signing on to this statement include:
- African American Chamber of Commerce of New Jersey, Inc.
- American Camp Association NY/NJ
- New Jersey Camps Government Affairs Project
- American Council of Engineering Companies of New Jersey
- American Physical Therapy Association of New Jersey
- Bernards Township Regional Chamber of Commerce
- Bio NJ
- Burlington County Regional Chamber of Commerce
- Cape May County Chamber of Commerce
- Capital Region Minority Chamber of Commerce
- Chamber of Commerce of Greater Philadelphia
- Chamber of Commerce Southern New Jersey
- Chemistry Council of NJ
- Commerce and Industry Association of New Jersey
- CrossState Credit Union Association
- Downtown New Jersey
- Early Childhood Education Advocates
- Eastern Monmouth Area Chamber of Commerce
- Employers Association of NJ
- Fuel Merchants Associates of NJ
- Garden State Pharmacy Owners, Inc
- Global Business Alliance
- Gloucester County Chamber of Commerce
- Greater Atlantic City Chamber of Commerce
- Greater Toms River Chamber of Commerce
- Greater Westfield Area Chamber of Commerce
- Health Care Association of NJ
- Healthcare Institute of NJ
- Hoboken Chamber of Commerce
- Home Care & Hospice Association of New Jersey
- Home Health Services Association of New Jersey
- Hudson County Chamber of Commerce
- Hunterdon County Chamber of Commerce
- Insurance Council of New Jersey
- International Health, Racquet and Sportsclub Association
- Jersey Shore Partnership
- Mahwah Regional Chamber of Commerce
- Marine Trades Association of New Jersey
- Middlesex County Regional Chamber of Commerce
- Meadowlands Chamber
- Monmouth Ocean Development Council
- Morris County Chamber of Commerce
- National Federation of Independent Business (NFIB)
- Newark Regional Business Partnership
- New Jersey Association of Osteopathc Physicians and Surgeons
- New Jersey Association of Mental Health & Addiction Agencies
- New Jersey Bankers Association
- New Jersey Builders Association
- New Jersey Business & Industry Association
- New Jersey Campground Owners and Outdoor Lodging Association
- New Jersey Civil Justice Institute
- New Jersey Coalition of Automotive Retailers
- New Jersey Concrete and Aggregate Association
- New Jersey Council of County Colleges
- New Jersey Dental Association
- New Jersey Gasoline-Convenience-Automotive Association
- New Jersey Hotel and Lodging Industry Association
- New Jersey Independent Electrical Contractors Association
- New Jersey LGBT Chamber of Commerce
- New Jersey Manufacturing Extension Program, Inc.
- New Jersey Motor Truck Association
- New Jersey Pharmacists Association
- New Jersey Podiatric Medical Society
- New Jersey Realtors
- New Jersey Restaurant & Hospitality Association
- New Jersey Retail Merchants Association
- New Jersey Salon and Spa Coalition
- New Jersey Self Insurers Association
- New Jersey Society of Certified Public Accountants
- New Jersey State Funeral Directors Association
- New Jersey State Veterans Chamber of Commerce
- New Jersey Tourism & Industry Association
- New Jersey Utilities Association
- New Jersey Warehousemen & Movers Association
- New York Shipping Association, Inc.
- North Jersey Jewish Business Alliance
- Ocean City Chamber of Commerce
- Princeton Mercer Regional Chamber of Commerce
- Professional Insurance Agents of New Jersey (PIANJ)
- Recreational Fishing Alliance
- Salem County Chamber of Commerce
- Somerset County Business Partnership
- Southern NJ Development Council
- Southern Ocean County Chamber of Commerce
- Sussex County Chamber of Commerce
- The United Boatmen of N.J.
- Union Township Chamber of Commerce
- United Way of Northern New Jersey
- Utility & Transportation Contractors Association
Media Contact : Insider NJ
Source : https://www.insidernj.com/press-release/nj-business-coalition-urges-faster-reopening-businesses-following-one-jersey-pledge-announcement/